You got the job!!!! Congrats!
Which also means you’ve got a new boss. And there is that question in the back of your mind… what kind of boss will they be?
Micro-manage-y? Super hands off? Some type of balance between the two? Way too invested? Kind of aloof?
You know there is a chance for all of them.
And some people are great at expressing their expectations and others are not.
So, with that in mind, we’ve got a couple of suggestions on some types of conversations you may want to have.
First, learn about how you guys will be meeting.
- Do you have weekly standing meetings?
- Do you have meetings as things come up?
- What’s their preference for how to schedule meetings?
Next, learn about their expectations on hearing about how things are going.
- Do they want status updates? How often?
- Do they only want to know when something has been completed?
- Do they want these updates in meetings … or via email … or do they just want to be able to see what they need to in the tracking system you guys have?
Then, learn about how they want to be communicated with as issues arise.
- Do they want to know as soon as you know there is a problem?
- Do they want you guys to strategize on how to fix it together?
- Do they prefer you to come to them with a strategy on how to fix it and they confirm?
- Or, do they want you to try to fix it first and then come to them?
Let us know how these questions help you structure your new relationship with your boss- or if you have any additional tips you’ve found helpful during this exciting / fun/ and stressful transition time!