“What do you want to be when you grow up?”
Brought back to your 7-year-old self? Us too.
It’s a weird question to ask someone so young that, don’t you think? It almost feels magical at that time of our lives – far away and dreamlike.
In that moment you can say you want to be “an astronaut” and you are rewarded with “Oh that would be SO fun!”.
What if you said that now in your life? You’d get the – “Wow, do you know how much work it takes become an astronaut? You’re really going to have to work hard to get there.”
Today, take a little time to think about where you want to get in your career – knowing it may take some hard work to get there. Maybe you already know! Maybe you have some ideas. Or maybe, you have no idea…
Regardless, take a couple of minutes to focus on where you are now and where you would love to get to.
What may be preventing you from getting there now?
- Maybe there is a specific skill set that you need to get better at?
- Maybe there is something you need to try to see where you strengths are!
- Maybe you don’t know what it is, but you know you want to grow
Now think about what you could practically do to gain those new skills:
- Take a free online class
- Earn a new certification
- See if there is a Coach you could work with to develop yourself overall or on a specific skill
- Look into receiving a feedback report from your Manager, Peers, and Direct Reports
Got those juices flowing yet?
Pick something and commit to doing. Identify what your next step is:
- Do you need to find that class? Maybe try here or here.
- Research the requirement for the certification?
- Talk to you boss about budget approval for working with a Coach
Start taking action NOW!
There is never the “perfect time” to start working on your development but if you don’t start (or continue) now, when will you?