We’re on week two with your chatty team! Did you have a chance to reflect on some of the questions Trish asked last week?
We hope those gave you a place to start. This week we’ve got Coach Sue Oliver based out of Texas on how to leverage the camaraderie of your team to get things done.
Take it away, Sue!
We want to motivate and inspire our teams to operate at their best; yet, there are so many opportunities for distractions.
We all know a team in conflict can easily lose focus. A team that gets along well socially and has positive chemistry can also be impacted.
How? The camaraderie and enjoyment of being part of a team that gets along well together can pose a challenge in getting things done.
So, how do you harness the best of what a good team with positive chemistry can achieve without falling victim to unproductive distractions?
One tip is to draw on the positive chemistry of the team to involve them as solution owners.
What does this actually look like?
- Begin by gathering the team together and laying out the situation transparently
- Let them know you see the team’s camaraderie as a strength, except when it poses challenges to getting things done
- Share with the team what the lack of focus looks like
- Let the team know that you want them to have a stake in the solution
- Challenge the team to identify the top 1-3 ways they can more clearly focus on achieving their performance goals while preserving the positive spirit and camaraderie of the team
At the end of the meeting or deadline set for team ideas, decide on the top few things the team can do to heighten their focus while preserving the positive atmosphere among the team.
This inclusive process will enable your team to be problem solvers and owners in the solution. You will have solved a problem through motivation and engagement – yielding a much more sustainable solution.”
Thank you, Sue!
By considering the questions from Trish last week and some of Sue’s suggestions this week, we know you’ll start to see some different results soon!