Before you start prioritizing, ask yourself “who cares?”
- If you don’t care and no one else does – why is it on the list anyway?
- If you care and no one else does – you get to keep it on the list
- If you don’t care and everyone else does – keep it on the list
- If you care and everyone else does – it should be close or at least up at the top of the list
Remember to ask yourself “who cares?” not only to prioritize, but to organize your thoughts, your team, and your project plan on how and when to get something done.
‘Who cares’ is hard:
- It means not checking every email the minute it comes in
- It means prioritizing, focusing, and doing the things that you and others care about, even if they’re hard or less interesting
- It means not getting into the water cooler gossip chain, even if it’s fun and scandalous
Customize your priorities using the “Who Cares?” question.